Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:47:29 +0200

Because the 8.3 name restriction has a negative effect for _all_
developers.

I think the 8.3 name restriction had the benefit that the names of most
Emacs' files have been kept succinct and yet meaningful over the time.
Names of buffers and files don't occupy much space in the modeline and
are readable for iconified frames.  I can easily display lists of files
and buffers in ten characters wide sidebars on the left of my editing
window.

Admittedly, thinking of a good filename fitting the restriction may take
some time.  However, I'm afraid that removing the restriction will soon
lead to more monstrosities like "idlw-complete-structtag.el".