Re: apropos commands for commands, user options, all functions, all vari

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: apropos commands for commands, user options, all functions, all variables
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:58:11 -0400

    Since `set-variable' was also intended to change the values of user
    options with the leading * in their docstrings, I think a new command
    `set-option' should be added with the body of current `set-variable',
    and `set-variable' should allow modifying any variable.

I don't consider that a good reason for such a change.
If I see some additional experienced users who want this as a convenience,
then I will agree to the change.