Re: 23.0.50; on Windows, M-x display-time-world shows the same, incorrec

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; on Windows, M-x display-time-world shows the same, incorrect, time for all cities
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:09:11 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I've fixed time.el so that it supports both zoneinfo-style time zones
> and the legacy time zones.  Please see if the change does TRT.

The timezones work in that format, but there are a number of problems
with them.

BST0BDT should be GMT0BST
JST-9JDT should be JST-9 (no daylight savings in Japan).
I think there may also be no daylight savings in India, but I'm not sure.

Also, I think enabling the zoneinfo style names only on GNU/Linux and MS
DOS is too conservative. All BSD based systems use the zoneinfo
database, as do most SYSV ones AFAIK. It may be better to use those by
default, and enable the legacy ones on a case by case basis,
particularly since there may be problems with the legacy posix ones'
handling of DST on many platforms other than Windows (which we know
always uses US switchover dates).