Re: optimizing defconst

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: optimizing defconst
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:08:43 +0100

On 10/29/07, Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> wrote:

> What about an option to make a constant read-only, something like
>
> (defconst ...
>    :read-only t)

Two years ago there was some discussion, but Richard said he doesn't
want to add real constants because they are of no benefit:

 "I don't want to introduce defining of `real constants' in Emacs. It
would be added complexity that we don't need, and that as far as I can
see does not serve a purpose."

 "The question here is, `How will they help make Emacs better to edit with?'"

That said, Stefan had some quite interesting comments about constants
and non-mutable strings.

             Juanma