Re: blank-mode.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: blank-mode.el
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:17:01 +0200

>>> So, if blank-toggle is binded to a key, for example, C-c b, then the
>>> user could
>>> type:
>>>
>>>    C-c b t      toggle tabs
>>>    C-c b s      toggle spaces and hard spaces
>>>    C-c b r      toggle trailing blanks
>>>    C-c b b      toggle spaces before tab
>>>    C-c b l      toggle lines
>>
>> I like the idea (and blank-mode in general),

I like this package too, and I have some suggestions: since it implements
a minor mode I suggest defining it with `define-minor-mode', and name the
global mode `global-blank-mode'.

Also I have a question how it interacts with nobreak-char-display.
Does your package overwrite highlighting of nobreak space displayed
by nobreak-char-display feature, or ignores it?

>> but according to the
>> Emacs Lisp reference, C-c b is reserved for major modes:
>>
>>    The key sequences bound in a minor mode should consist of `C-c'
>> followed by one of `.,/?`'"[]\|~!#$%^&*()-_+='.  (The other punctuation
>> characters are reserved for major modes.)
>
> No problem, the key binding above was only an example, it could be any
> other key binding.

I think a key prefix with good mnemonics for blank-minor-mode is `C-c _'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/