Re: 23.0.50; utf7-decode failed with non latin-1 charactor

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; utf7-decode failed with non latin-1 charactor
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:40:53 +0000

Topia wrote:
> I want to use imap's internationalized (japanese) folder name,
> from Wanderlust. but I see error "Unable to convert from Unicode"
> from utf7-u16-latin1-char-converter.
>
> You can see with this code:
>    ;; "Sent Mail" in Japanese, imap's UTF-7
>    (utf7-decode "&kAFP4W4IMH8w4TD8MOs-" 'imap)

There appear to be two different implementations of utf-7 in Emacs, one
in lisp/international/utf-7.el, and one in lisp/gnus/utf7.el

The former seems to work for decoding, but always returns nil on
encoding without changing the buffer contents (the correctly encoded
text is in a buffer called " *temp*" however).

The latter only seems to work on Latin-1 text (as documented in the
commentary) and returns results from the encoder that are inconsistent
with iconv.

Probably lisp/international/utf-7.el should be fixed, and the Gnus one
dropped.