Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 00:20:57 +0000

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> But again, choose whatever keys you like.

Thanks :)

>> 2. It doesn't really take care of what border do you want to act on.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "take care of what border". No, it simply
> resizes the window, by calling `shrink-window(-horizontally)'. If that
> function is not what you want, then use another that does what you want.

Take this window configuration:

|----------+----------+----------|
|          |          |          |
|          |          |          |
| Window 1 | Window 2 | Window 3 |
|          |          |          |
|          |          |          |
|----------+----------+----------|
           ^          ^
          (A)        (B)

Let's say the point is on the second Window.  When pressing the left
arrow key, you expect the border (A) will move to the left; pressing the
right arrow key makes you wait for the border (B) to move to the right.

This is what I mean by "taking care of what border to act upon", and
this is what does the version `resize-window' i proposed before.

>>    The `resize-window' I proposed in this thread, while definitely ugly,
>>    moves the left border when you use the left key `l', the right border
>>    when you use the right key `r', etc.  It is the most usable solution
>>    I've tested so far.
>
> Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want.

Yes it is.  I was led to this by testing Lennart's bw-interactive.el,
which is also able to know what border to move.

> My point was that Do Re Mi is completely general. You can use it to
> increase/decrease anything incrementally (or use it to cycle among
> enumeration values).

This gave me the occasion to test doremi.el, and it's great.  I stumbled
on this in the emacswiki before -- the name intrigued me -- but I didn't
have time to play with it.  Done!

--
Bastien