Re: Why does not rgrep use "grep -r"?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Why does not rgrep use "grep -r"?
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:37:47 +0900

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
>> Neither method should use many processes unless the command-line
>> arg limit is very short (though on windows, maybe that's the case...).
>
> I believed that grep had to be started many times. Is not that the case?

xargs invokes grep in "batches," with as many filenames as will fit on
the command line; for e.g. linux, that's many thousands at once, so
process invocation overhead will tend to be in the noise compared to
file I/O overhead.

-Miles
--
It wasn't the Exxon Valdez captain's driving that caused the Alaskan oil spill.
It was yours.  [Greenpeace advertisement, New York Times, 25 February 1990]