Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code

From: yzhh
Subject: Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 22:27:27 +0800

Richard Stallman wrote:

> You're being too perfectionist.

I am, from time to time. :) I prefer generic solution over ad hoc ones.

> Please stop asking whether you can "track them all",
> and instead work on tracking common cases.
> I am sure you will succeed.  The only question is how far
> you can carry it.

My progress will be slow, but I'll stick to this for a long time. My major
concern here is maintainability of the code. When details relating to other
emacs packages accumulate in one place, I could lose control of it. I do
want it last long.

Since your "common case" policy looks practical and the code is now far from
out-of-control, I'll do it that way.

> We can add isearch-append-string for this.

I'm still investigating work-arounds. I'd like to hear from isearch
developers about their idea on recording isearch, if that's appropriate.

> That is a good idea.  Please do it that way.
>
> The same argument would apply to yanking something that was not
> killed within the same macro.

It depends on the above "yank sources tracking". So it'll be implemented
after that.

> The code to set up an argument in the minibuffer needs to be converted
> into computing the argument to pass to a function.
>
> However, mere completion in most cases can be treated as a constant.
> The only possible exceptions to that statement are cases where the
> effect of the completion is very dynamic. ...
> Thus, the issue that complicates minibuffer args is not completion.
> It is yanking.

So let's apply the "common case" policy here and use completed string
constants for now. Later when yanking is dealt with, we can experiment on
completion.

--
   regards,
yzhh