Re: Carbon port emacs-unicode-2 build problem under MacOSX

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Carbon port emacs-unicode-2 build problem under MacOSX
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 23:24:22 -0600

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:13:12 +0900 YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> wrote:

>> After trying the Cocoa port, it's actually much better than the
>> Carbon port,

YM> Could you precisely describe in what aspects you think it's "much
YM> better"?

Well, the short answer is that it actually takes input from the
keyboard.  I'd say that's a big improvement over today's Carbon port
builds.  That aside, it has better integration with the MacOS, a nice
Preferences dialog, better font rendering, and other improvements listed
in the ChangeLog.

>> and Carbon is deprecated on MacOS according to Apple

YM> If it were really deprecated, Apple wouldn't have added any new
YM> frameworks to Carbon in Leopard.

According to this article:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.ars/6

"Yep, it's (finally) the end of the line for Carbon GUI applications in
Mac OS X. Oh, sure, they'll be around for years and years to come, but
the lack of 64-bit support is a long-term death sentence.

The last vestiges of the original Macintosh API are finally being put to
rest. They've done their job and are being given a decent burial, I
think. A slow, almost natural transition. Bugs will be fixed in the
32-bit Carbon APIs, of course, but no new features will be added. All
new GUI APIs in Leopard and future Mac OS X releases will be added as
Cocoa-only APIs."

This is based on Apple's official announcements, not the author's
opinion.

>> (10.5 compilations report deprecated symbols for many Carbon
>> functions).

YM> Did that cause any real problems?

YM> I'm asking because they are related not only to the effectively
YM> unmaintained Carbon port for Emacs 23 but also to the maintained one
YM> for Emacs 22.

No, deprecation warnings are not a problem in themselves, they indicate
the API will go away.  That's their purpose, generally.

I assumed that the deprecation warnings I saw while compiling the Carbon
port were Apple's way of telling developers the Carbon APIs are
deprecated.  Am I wrong?

Ted