Re: address@hidden: Re: find-grep makes raw terminal ANSI]

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: find-grep makes raw terminal ANSI]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 01:59:17 +0200

>     > He is arguing that setting GREP_COLOR is a mistake
>
>     GREP_COLOR is for compatibility with older grep versions.
>     grep.el also uses GREP_COLORS for newer versions.
>     So everything in this regard is already correct in grep.el.
>
> I think we are miscommunicating.  The problem he's talking about
> is that this affects grep even if grep is piped to another command,
> and that gives bad results (sometimes).
>
> I expect that the problem is the same regardless of precisely which
> envvar is used.  Is that not so?

Yes, the problem is the same for the deprecated envvar GREP_COLOR and
a newer envvar GREP_COLORS.  I understood that part of the complaint was
using the deprecated envvar GREP_COLOR instead of newer GREP_COLORS.
Since Emacs sets both there is no problem for supporting old and new
versions of GNU grep.

As for the main problem, Stefan suggested a workable solution.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/