Re: emacs-unicode-2 branch - src/macterm.c function mac_set_unicode_keys

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: emacs-unicode-2 branch - src/macterm.c function mac_set_unicode_keystroke_event - should it be reverted in cvs?
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:46:21 +0900

> Considering the situation that TRUNK is buildable and usable in
> MacOSX,

Not actually for the Carbon port.  Input is only read at the timing of
timer expirations and still less responsive.  You can easily observe
total unresponsiveness by turning off all the timers by invoking Emacs
with -Q -D.

> and emacs-unicode-2 is buildable (with this revert), it may be
> meaningful even though Carbon port is *to some extent* deprecated
> and declared unsupported. After all, Cocoa port
> (http://emacs-app.sf.net) is not officially planned to merge, and
> Mac port is only one step away from working.

Even if you get around the unresponsiveness in the trunk and the
compilation problem in the emacs-unicode-2 branch, the Carbon port
will be unusable anyway when the text drawing in Emacs 23 becomes
font-backend only (unless someone implements font-backend for the
Carbon port).  I don't think it's much meaningful to make the Carbon
port for Emacs 23 work only temporarily.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden