Re: regression in key handling

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: regression in key handling
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:29:23 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I really think Emacs would benifit from some automated system
>     of regression testing, like unit tests or sth. like that.
>
> It isn't trivial do that for keyboard input.
> Would you like to work on that?

I'm not following Emacs development closely, but I noticed some
discussion about automated test framework recently.  Didn't see
what it came too, though.

But given that such a framework is in place, I could write
something like this test:

    ;; Test that S-backspace deletes exactly one char.
    (with-temp-buffer
      (insert "XY")
      ; Dispatch S-backspace key somehow...
      (assert (= (buffer-size) 1)))

The problem is I don't know how to emulate a key press.  Ideally,
it should work exactly the same way as if user pressed the key.

So, we'd need 1) a testing framework (I assume someone wrote
something already, given the discussion) and 2) a way to emulate
key presses.  Is there a way to do point 2) in Emacs already?

Paul