Re: Useless change in lisp.el?

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Useless change in lisp.el?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:58:24 +0100

Am Montag, 26. November 2007 20:26 schrieb Stefan Monnier:
> > Should you not cling to much to that disputed change
> > and no one else defends it, I would appreciate much
> > seeing it reverted.
> Rather than argue abuot the change itself, just give us some use
> case where the new behavior is problematic.

Can't see any new behaviour with this change, that's
it.  AFAIU you introduced more lines of code and provision
for possible bugs not to fear before.

 ;; In case the beginning-of-defun-function uses the old calling
      ;; convention, fallback on the old implementation.
       (if (> arg 0)
           (dotimes (i arg)
             (funcall beginning-of-defun-function))
         ;; Better not call end-of-defun-function directly, in case
         ;; it's not defined.
         (end-of-defun (- arg))))))

Now you have the old implementation, called if
`(wrong-number-of-arguments'--what wasn't at the table
before--new implementation and the default as always:
Three instead of two items to watch.

If you want Emacs as extendable, it matters, how
the code is written. If you introduce things without
valid reason--that's my view still--it will be less readable,
people need more time to dig through.

Andreas Röhler