Re: declare-function in files from Gnus (hashcash.el, imap.el)

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: declare-function in files from Gnus (hashcash.el, imap.el)
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 00:12:07 +0100

On Sun, Dec 02 2007, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> Such files can just add a 1 line compatibility code:
>
> (unless (fboundp 'declare-function) (defmacro declare-function (&rest r)))

I think this is not a good idea...

,----[ (info "(elisp)Coding Conventions") ]
|    * If a package needs to define an alias or a new function for
|      compatibility with some other version of Emacs, name it with the
|      package prefix, not with the raw name with which it occurs in the
|      other version.  Here is an example from Gnus, which provides many
|      examples of such compatibility issues.
|
|           (defalias 'gnus-point-at-bol
|             (if (fboundp 'point-at-bol)
|                 'point-at-bol
|               'line-beginning-position))
`----

[In Gnus, we had some bug report from XEmacs users that was very hard
to find because some XEmacs package defined an un-prefixed Emacs
function so that the test (fboundp ...) returned t although the
functionality was not as expected.]

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,