Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 23:51:17 +0100

On Dec 4, 2007 10:32 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> When saving history, there's nothing to decide: savehist uses a
> temporary buffer, which is born with the native EOL convention of the
> underlying platform: -unix on Posix platforms, -dos on Windows.

I don't understand. Wouldn't a -unix coding force it to be saved with
Unix EOL convention?

> So you mean when reading the history file, yes?

Well, I do "M-x replace-string ^M^J <RET> ^J <RET>", and the savehist
file contains 0x0D 0x0A and 0x0D 0x0D 0x0A.

> What would help, I think, is have an explicit EOL
> conversion stated in the coding: cookie.

We are miscommunicating somehow. The value of `savehist-coding-system'
is used to write the file, and is also written in the coding: cookie.
When I propose to use a -unix variant to write the file, I of course
mean to also write it in the cookie.

             Juanma