Re: desktop.el: autosave?

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: desktop.el: autosave?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:35:01 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Juri Linkov wrote:

After about 30 hours, saving the desktop had accumulated about 50s of time
this way. That seems a reasonable amount to me. I have 137 buffers in my
session, and my desktop file is about 38,000 bytes long. Hence, I suggest
that a simple feature "Auto-save desktop" which adds
desktop-save-in-desktop-dir to auto-save-hook, would satisfy most people
likely to use this feature. Furthermore those concerned about power usage
and disk spin-up only have to worry about the same Emacs feature
(auto-save-hook), and not add another hook or function to their list of
things to tweak.

For users with small desktop files this simple solution could be
satisfactory.

How much bigger than mine do you think it's going to get?

A separate question is whether to auto-save the desktop using
auto-save-hook by default or not.  Perhaps not if it can cause
potential problems for users.

I think this is a nice default if desktop is active. Of course, desktop itself is not switched on by default. I don't think it will cause problems for many users; those who don't like it can switch it off, of course. It seems reasonable to have it on by defaut, just like auto-save for files is on by default.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | aphorism, n.  a wise lie