Re: Problems with `require' in recent changes

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Problems with `require' in recent changes
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 21:45:32 +0100

On Wed, Dec 12 2007, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Now only password-cache.el exists in the Gnus trunk.  However,
>> password.el is still in ecrypto that is an official XEmacs Lisp
>> package.

I guess even when XEmacs renames password.el as well, there is problem
when a user installs a new Gnus package but has an elder ecrypto
package.

If XEmacs renames it, the following code in `tramp.el' doesn't DTRT:

;; As long as password.el is not part of (X)Emacs, it shouldn't
;; be mandatory
(if (featurep 'xemacs)
    (load "password" 'noerror)
  (or (require 'password-cache nil 'noerror)
      (require 'password nil 'noerror))) ; from No Gnus, also in tar ball

>> So, it will override password-cache.el if some program requires the
>> feature `password'.  I'm not sure what it brings, but it seems that
>> password-cache.el had better provide also the feature `password'.
>> Though it might cause a trouble in programs that use password
>> functions, I guess it is easy to be solved.
>
> I really wish we had kept the name "password.el".  Such name changes are
> just a waste of time and energy.

I agree.

Bye, Reiner.
--