Re: Speeding up vc-dired still more

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Speeding up vc-dired still more
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 04:25:26 -0500

Alexandru Harsanyi <address@hidden>:
> Perhaps `vc-dired-ignorable-p' should be a backend function
> (vc-BACKEND-dired-ignorable-p).  I'm thinking that the CVS backend could
> look at .cvsignore for the list of files to ignore, the SVN backend at
> .svnignore, and so on.  This way, Emacs will ignore the same set of files
> as the VC backend would ignore when used in command line mode.

It shouldn't *be* a new backend function, but it should probably *call*
such a function.  The reason I say that is that there are some ignorable
files that don't fit in the .svnignore/.cvsignore model.

As an example, right now I have in there logic to ignore Makefile if
it has a peer named Makefile.in or Makefile.am.

This is a good idea, but I have several higher-priority changes in my
queue.  Are you interested enough to do it?