Re: linum.el?

From: Markus Triska
Subject: Re: linum.el?
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:22:02 +0100

> The problem with the new hook is that it will trigger on ALL editing
> commands, as well as scrolling. The only thing that won't trigger it
> is cursor motion.

That's already an improvement over the current situation, which is to
trigger after EVERY command by default. This in itself seems to be fast
enough for many users already, and the new hook makes it faster still.

> Isn't that going to be painful?

The new hook will cover an important middle ground between a hook that
is too eager (post-command-hook) and a set of various non-obvious hooks
that make it impossible not to miss cases. Also, I hope that it can fix
other issues: For example, I currently delay updates of line numbers
(for 0 seconds) to give Emacs a chance for updates after M-x goto-line
and possibly other cases after which the display seems not to be
up-to-date in post-command-hook. This delay is noticable (if you know
that it exists), and I hope the new hook makes it unnecessary.