Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames]
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 00:51:32 +0100

>     What I wanted to express above is that my initial Emacs frame has
>     the same height regardless of whether I have toolbars enabled or
>     not.
>
> That is a different issue than RMS was dealing  with.  As far as I
> understand, he was concerned with the number of lines of text.

Apparently for Gtk+ users the height changes but the number of visible
lines remains the same when toggling `tool-bar-mode'.  For native
toolbar users the height remains the same and the number of visible
lines changes.  I reported this only to explain the behavior of Emacs
with native toolbars as seen here.

> Toolbars on my system take up two lines and the heights of an Emacs
> instance in X, the first frame, changes, although at the moment the
> number of text lines stay the same regardless whether I evaluate
>
>     (tool-bar-mode 0)
> or
>     (tool-bar-mode 1)
>
> (As I said earlier, the height of the first frame changes.)
>
> I like it that the number of lines of text stays the same.

If I had two Emacs frames aligned one above the other I probably would
mind if one of them changed size without being asked to do so.  But I
can't really tell because I don't use toolbars and never count the
number of lines of frames - my Emcas always runs full screen.