Selection-set editing without VC-dired

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Selection-set editing without VC-dired
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:36:06 -0500 (EST)

(Apologies if this appears as a resend.  I'm having hardware and
Postfix-configuration troubles this morning and I think my first
attempt bounced.)

The selection-set editing commands I proposed in a reply to David
Kastrup would be easy to implement.  However, on reflection, I am
not at all sure doing so would be wise design.

In general, I think it is better to have one UI method that works well
than lots of semi-gratuitous knobs and switches. And I might want to
use C-x v + and C-x v - for something else someday.

So, I'm not outright rejecting the idea of a non-VC-Dired UI for
specifying selection sets. But I think it would be better for
now if I continued to focus on making VC-Dired so fast that
you won't really want or need an alternate set-editing method.

I expect to capture another substantial speed gain in the
next rewrite.  I'd have done this already, but I've been a
bit distracted by the holiday social round.