Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:17:36 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  > > From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
  > > Cc: address@hidden
  > > Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:27:07 -0800
  > >
  > >   > All I needed to do is introduce
  > >   > them to some optional features, such as Speedbar, ebrowse, and gdb-ui,
  > >   > and craft a simple .emacs to bind the various Fn keys to
  > >   > compile/run/debug commands they were used to have.  After that, I
  > >   > never again heard anyone of them laughing at "stagnant backwater" that
  > >   > is Emacs.
  > >
  > > Care to post an example of such .emacs?
  > > Maybe it can be used as a skeleton for a package for such users, or
  > > maybe we can change some defaults to match such users' expectations.
  >
  > There's nothing too fancy about it; most of it goes like this:

Thanks.

  >   (defun ez-clcheckout ()
  >     "Checkout from ClearCase the file visited by current buffer."
  >     (interactive)
  >     (shell-command (format "cleartool co %s" buffer-file-name))
  >     (revert-buffer nil t))
  >   (global-set-key (kbd "<f9>") 'ez-clcheckout)
  >   (defun ez-clcheckin ()
  >     "Checkin to ClearCase the file visited by current buffer."
  >     (interactive)
  >     (shell-command
  >     (format "cleartool ci %s" buffer-file-name))
  >     (revert-buffer nil t))
  >   (global-set-key (kbd "<C-f9>") 'ez-clcheckin)

Maybe this should use vc-clearcase (if such a thing exists).

Are the f9 and C-f9 the usual keys for this type of functionality in
one some platforms?

Would be useful for us to add some default extra bindings to the
functions keys for the VC functions?

  >   (defun ez-maketarg ()
  >     "Build the project in current buffer's directory."
  >     (interactive)
  >     (save-buffer)
  >     (if (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
  >     (compile compile-command)
  >       (compile "gmake -k DEBUG")))
  >
  >   (global-set-key (kbd "<f7>") 'ez-maketarg)
  >   (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook
  >      (lambda ()
  >        (unless (or (file-exists-p "makefile")
  >                    (file-exists-p "Makefile"))
  >          (let* ((dsp-dir (file-name-directory buffer-file-name))
  >                 (dsp-file (downcase (file-name-nondirectory
  >                                      (directory-file-name dsp-dir)))))
  >            (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command)
  >                 (concat "devenv.com "
  >                         (convert-standard-filename dsp-dir)
  >                         dsp-file
  >                       ".vcproj debug /rebuild"))))))

I always wished we had a nice one key binding to a "smart" version of
M-x compile...

  >   (global-set-key (kbd "<f4>") 'next-error)

We already use f4, so this can't be bound by default :-(