Re: It's not yet time to anoint git, or anything else

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: It's not yet time to anoint git, or anything else
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 20:28:14 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ted,

> TH>   - huge effort to write and maintain it
>
> I don't think the effort is *huge* since there's so many existing VCS
> implementations.  It's certainly not trivial and I already mentioned
> that writing the code was a major disadvantage.

I'm not sure here, but I don't think a reliable VCS is an easy task.  On
Linus' google talk he said that when he tried to choose an existing VCS
he could hardly find one that could guarantee that what comes out is
exactly as that was put in.  I don't know how trustworthy the statement
is, but it rings my alarm bells.

> TH>   - worse performance than a highly optimized C solution
>
> This is always a concern with ELisp code, and fortunately Emacs
> supports linking to C functions and libraries when needed.

Are you talking about that FFI patch that's pending because Richard
isn't sure about legal issues?

Bye,
Tassilo