Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 09:30:13 -0500

>> speedbar doesn't actually want a list of "admin dirs used by VCS".
>> Instead it wants a list of "directories not to show in speedbar",
>> e.g. "dirs used for things like meta-data".  VCS are probably the most
>> common users of meta-data directories, but not the only ones.

> Right.  If those other classes of metadata directories have elisp packages
> that naturally own them, them I think speedbar ought to refer back to those
> packages.

>> > This seems wrong to me, violating what database people call the SPOT
>> > (Single Point Of Truth) rule.
>>
>> Just because it's not in VC doesn't mean it can't be put in a single
>> spot, right?  ;-)

> Certainly not.  But, since VC needs the information anyway, where else
> would you put them?

VC doesn't really need the info.  It only uses it because of its
original mistake to use dired (and hence `ls').  Once this mistake is
corrected it won't need it any more.

Where else, then?  In simple.el or subr.el or some other global file.
Then VC backends can add to that variable and so can any other
elisp package.  This way speedbar doesn't need to refer to any of
those packages.

        Stefan