Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:29:08 +0200

> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D3scar_Fuentes?= <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 07:59:07 +0100
> Cc: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>
> Using analogies with CVS here is dangerous and only help to obscure what
> a DVCS is.

This cannot be helped, and resisting this tendency will only obstruct
constructive dialog.  People understand new things by analogies to
something they already know; this is how we synthesize new knowledge
and ideas.

> Personal repositories and peer-to-peer sharing opens lots of
> possibilities: you can work on a difficult issue using localy the
> advantages of having a personal VCS, doing multiple commits as you hack
> the problem and, finally, "pushing" to the central repository the clean,
> finished work. As mentioned above, you can share your changes with other
> people without touching the central repository.

Are there any tools or widely-accepted methods for figuring out what
is the main "theme" of a certain branch of a given personal
repository?  Or does Joe Random Hacker still need to use email to find
out what is available out there?