Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 02:37:18 -0800

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:
  > >   > Are custom displays needed?  What would you want to use them for?
  > >
  > > I believe so. One use for displaying no-file related information:
  > > repository name, branch name, the command that is being executed (all
  > > done by PCL-CVS).
  > >
  > > In the future we might want to add some widgets to select the branch to
  > > display. Or to the repository to connect to. Maybe display a short
  > > version of the logs for the last commits in the repository for the files
  > > that need merging.
  >
  > Dan, there are parts of the VC design about which I feel some
  > territoriality, but this is absolutely not one of them. The
  > performance of the VC-Dired code is not where I want it to be, your
  > arguments seem sound, and you seem well motivated to do a good job.
  > If you think you can rip VC-Dired out and replace it with a better and
  > faster ewoc-based display layer, you may do so with my blessing and
  > support.
  >
  > I say this partly because the code structure should make this experiment
  > easy to back out if it fails.  But I'm not expecting it to.

I checked in some code to do that. I whipped it out quickly, so it's not
complete in any way. It provides a M-x vc-status command which is the
replacement for vc-dired.

It can only be used with Mercurial for now.

You can mark/unmark files, and vc-deduce-fileset knows about them. So
you can run C-x v commands in the *vc status* buffer and they will
take into consideration the selected files. (I only tested vc-diff).

As you see the code is very simple. Adding faces, more key bindings and
more fancy display should be straight forward.

Now, I cannot lead this development, I don't have the time to do it at
the moment.
But I am happy to help further.