Re: Change the default binding of C-x C-e ?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Change the default binding of C-x C-e ?
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:21:17 +0000 (UTC)

    Things worked fine until I progressed in elisp to where I wanted
    to use defvar.

(info "(eintr)defvar")
says

       The `defvar' special form ... only sets the value of the
    variable if the variable does not already have a value.

I just checked this:  I can use C-x C-e (eval-last-sexp) to set the
value of a variable with `defvar' for the first time.  As described in
the Introduction, I cannot change the value a second time with
`defvar' and `eval-last-sexp'; for that, I must use `setq'.

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Sun, 2008 Jan  6  11:10 UTC
GNU Emacs 23.0.50.21 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.1)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden