Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:09:00 -0500

    > But I still don't understand what step actually alters the trunk that
    > users will get by default from the public repository.  Does `push' do
    > that?

    Yes, presuming that by "push" you mean "push to the default public
    repository".

In CVS terms, that's commit.  To make a useful comparison between
CVS and git, we should think of this as "conceptual commit",
even though it is not called "commit" in git terminology.

Thus, I think that the relationship between merging and conceptual
commit is the same in git as it is in CVS.  In both cases you have to
merge first before you do the conceptual commit.

    In the above context, the equivalence would be:

               CVS&RCS            Git
               save file          save file
               commit to RCS      commit
               commit to CVS      push