Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:09:43 -0500

    > But as I said elsewhere, let's have a bug tracker happen, and see
    > where it gets us.  I have seen enough talking on this issue; if
    > there's energy left in those who think a bug tracker will make a
    > difference, let's see it in action and argue later.

    All right.  I'll need administrator permissions on our Savannah site.
    Can you set those?

Hold your horses!  I'm now willing to consider use of a bug tracker,
but that leaves the question of WHICH ONE, and checking that it is
actually ok to use.

    > First step: activate the default Savannah issue tracker for the
    > project and test it.  Might be that one is good enough; I'll
    > need to check things like whether reports can be gated to
    > emacs-bugs, and how much work it takes to be able to do
    > transactions from within Emacs.

Miles says that one was no good, when he tried it.  On the other hand,
Eli says now it works ok for GNU Make:

    I don't know about ``awful'' (you didn't say what was awful about it),
    but at least as far as email gateway, the GNU Make project has it set
    up and running: every bug report gets gatewayed into a mailing list,
    and so does any comment filed with a bug report.

Can you issue commands by email too?