Re: toggling a minor mode should not tell Customize that the value hasbe

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: toggling a minor mode should not tell Customize that the value hasbeen set
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:15:30 -0500

    Yes, that's what I assumed. I think that's a mistake. It has the result that
    users see such changes show up with `customize-customized', even for simple
    toggles.

I just don't think that is a problem.

    `Buffer-menu-sort-column' is a defvar, but it could be a defcustom. (In
    fact, in my code it is, and I think it should be generally, so that users
    can specify their preferred sort column without using setq or defvar.)

    Change it to a defcustom, hypothetically. Now, what's the Customize behavior
    if a user clicks a column header or two a few times to change sort orders
    dynamically?

I think that is not really analogous.  `Buffer-menu-sort-column' is a
local variable and you are changing it only for one buffer.  That is why
that outcome feels wrong.

Please let's drop the subject.  We have other issues to spend time on.