Re: `Q' in Dired - be able to skip the rest of one file and move onto th

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: `Q' in Dired - be able to skip the rest of one file and move onto the next
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 02:48:08 +0200

>> I think this is too weird trick to quit the query-replace
>> operation with M-> and resume it with tags-loop-continue M-,.
>> Maybe instead of this we should try implementing native
>> (i.e. without using etags) multi-file query-replace
>> similar to recently implemented multi-file isearch?
>
> What was wrong with your first suggestion (and Miles's):
>
>>> Maybe, when started by `Q', query-replace should apply `!' to all
>>> marked files, and a new key `Y' should replace all remaining
>>> occurrences in the current file, and a new key `N' should skip
>>> the current file as Miles has already proposed.

That's exactly what I meant in the latest proposal: to implement
multi-file query-replace with additional keys: a key to replace
remaining occurrences in the current file, and a key to skip to
the next file.

How else this is possible to do given that query-replace doesn't
depend on etags?

> But I'd keep the single-file meaning of all keys, including `!', and use a
> different key to replace all remaining occurrences in this file and the
> other files. It's not good for a key (e.g. `!') to change meaning, depending
> on whether one file or several are searched.

`!' in single-file context means to replace all remaining occurrences
that would be fine to apply the same meaning in multi-file context.
Any other keys could be applied only to the current file since
this is an additional separation in search-replace space.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/