Re: 23.0.50; ps-print-buffer-with-faces hangs on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; ps-print-buffer-with-faces hangs on w32
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:59:25 +0200

> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:47:54 +0000
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> CC: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Perhaps we should give up trying to make printing work out of the box on
> Windows, and instead produce an error by default telling the user they
> need to configure printing.

That was how Emacs 21 and before worked, and I remember a huge number
of FAQs on the gnu-emacs-help forum.  It's much quieter now, although
there's no way of knowing if that's because the default behavior of
Emacs 22.

Besides, what exactly would you tell the user that is helpful?

> In an office environment, printers are likely to be on the network,
> and the user will have to configure Emacs anyway. In a home
> environment, the printer is increasingly likely to be a USB
> connected inkjet or cheap laser that does not expose a character
> device for Windows to map to PRN.

I'd like first to try to find a way of detecting this.  Any ideas?
How about trying to find out what is the default printer configured by
Windows, for example?