Re: Overlays category - could this be made buffer local?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Overlays category - could this be made buffer local?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:07:15 +0900

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
>      If OVERLAY does not record any value for that
>      property, but it does have a `category' property which is a
>      symbol, that symbol's PROP property is used.  Otherwise, the value
>      is `nil'.
>
> If 'category where allowed to be a symbol then buffer local values could
> be set.

`category' is already a symbol.  I presume you're saying, "if the user
were able to specify a custom forwarding symbol to use instead of
`category', then ..."

I'm not sure it's a good idea though, as in many cases overlay lookups
are implicit, so there's no easy/clean way to specify what symbol to use
(instead of `category').

-Miles

--
"Suppose He doesn't give a shit?  Suppose there is a God but He
just doesn't give a shit?"  [George Carlin]