Re: warning compiling dbusbind.c

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: warning compiling dbusbind.c
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:19:29 -0500

>> > Yuck.  I must prefer living with the warning (which is just that:
>> > a warning.  We already have several similar ones).
>>
>> I menioned this because it is the only warning of any kind I get when
>> compiling the Emacs C code.

> Indeed, in GDB all files are compiled with the -Werror option, presumably
> because GCC folks are more knowledgeable about what is undesirable than the
> average developer.

But uglifying the code and making it less maintainable just to get rid
of a minor warning is not good software engineering practices.

I'd much rather introduce a dummy macro like

    #define DEFEAT_WARNING(x) ((EMACS_INT)(x))

or even

    #define DEFEAT_WARNING(x) ((((EMACS_INT)(x))+1)-1)

then introduce the "#if BITS_PER_EMACS_INT >= 32" that dispatches to two
different macros, where the reason why it's correct is not nearly
as obvious.

        Stefan