Re: Tabbed buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tabbed buffers
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:59:10 -0500

>> But getting rid of them would just mean trouble.
> I would certainly object.

Richard was talking about a suggestion of mine, which was not to remove
the frame functionality on ttys.  How can people even expect me to
suggest throwing away such a feature?

All I was pointing out was that if we introduce frame-level tabs, then
it might make sense to treat the current "multiple-frames on a single tty"
as tabs rather than as frames.  So we may want to refine the notion of
tty frames so that each tty gets exactly 1 frame, and it can then
multiplex several tabs on that frame: the end result is the same
featureset as before, but in a way that more closely matches the
semantics of frames&tabs under GUIs (where only one of the tabs of
a frame can be displayed at a time, just like frames on a single tty).

        Stefan