Re: 23.0.50; vc: missing done in progress message

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; vc: missing done in progress message
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:39:09 +0100

() Ulrich Neumerkel <address@hidden>
() Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:00:44 +0100

   grep 'Finding changes in' vc.el

   [...]

   So there is no place anywhere that could acknowledge the
   end of the operation.

In my *Messages* buffer i see such an acknowledgement.

Your patch doesn't find the true end of the operation, which has two
cases: synchronous and asynchronous.  These are crossed with whether
or not the backend program detected differences (which may or may
not coincide w/ an empty output buffer, my point in the bug-gnulib
thread), resulting in (at least) four cases.  Furthermore, if we
take into account the VERBOSE arg, which on quick analysis seems to
have suffered bit-rot from the late-2007 revamp, there are now (at
least) eight tails to the "Finding changes" head.

Some of these cases can be (and are) coalesced, but not all.  If you
want "acknowledgement of end", you need to figure out *which* end
you are interested in, and DTRT there, not before.  Applying your
patch would cause Emacs to lie (more than it does now), and we see
how that turned out for HAL9000!

thi