Re: Tabbed buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tabbed buffers
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:32:37 -0500

     >     All I was pointing out was that if we introduce frame-level
     >     tabs, then it might make sense to treat the current
     >     "multiple-frames on a single tty" as tabs rather than as
     >     frames.
     >
     > That seems like an unnecessary complication with no benefit.

    The benefit is that the tabs provide a visual cue (which many users
    will have experience with) of what alternatives are available via
    `next-tab' or `pop-to-tab'.

That benefit comes from having the feature of tabs.
I think it is a good idea to add that feature.

But you are talking about something else: to treat the current
"multiple-frames on a single tty" as tabs rather than as frames.  That
has nothing to do with the benefits tabs provide, and I don't see how
it would provide any benefit.  It would just create an unnecessary
loss of parallelism between the tty case and the graphical display
case, right?

Perhaps you should state your proposal more concretely and precisely.