Re: Tabbed buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tabbed buffers
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 01:16:20 -0500

     > But you are talking about something else:

    Wrong "you".  Stefan is the guy who proposed the analogy of tty frames
    to tabs.

Ok.  In any case, that is the proposal I was criticizing.

    I'm simply proposing that a tab control widget would be a useful
    addition.  Specifically it allows one-click switching of the entire
    content of a rectangular area, under control of a per-tabset Lisp
    callback which takes the particular tab as an argument.

It sounds good to me.  It is easy except for the GUI part.

    What XEmacs does by default is attach tabs to each Emacs frame as an
    always-visible alternative to the buffers menu, containing a
    configurable selection of buffers.

I think tabs should operate at frame level
and each tab should be a window configuration.