Re: 23.0.50; vc: missing done in progress message

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; vc: missing done in progress message
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:56:46 -0500

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> Please post the experiment so that it can be reproduced.
> Start w/ "emacs -Q".

 emacs -Q --eval '(setq vc-command-messages t)' file/under/svn
 modify file
 C-x v =

-> buffer with differences and message: "Running svn diff filename...OK = 0"

Anyway, the only point I'm trying to make is that "OK = 0" is useless
as a status message, because it could mean anything:

1) The diff command completed succesfully (exit status 0 in a shell
command sense). There may or may not be differences.

2) The diff command failed (0 is false in a C sense).

3) There were no differences (the GNU diff exit status convention).

Something like "...done" or "...failed" would be a lot clearer IMO.
I supposed I should either just change it myself or forget about it.