Re: emacsclient bug

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacsclient bug
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:31:21 -0500

>> Of course, if your Emacs server has both X11 and tty frames, then "-c"
>> will arbitrarily open either a tty frame or an X11 frame depending on
>> which frame happens to be selected when the emacsclient connects to it.

> Given that, taking into account the current frame when emacsclient
> connects does not seem like a good idea.

Yes, clearly it's not a feature.  It's just the way it works and has
worked for the last many years.  The X11-vs-tty problem is new, but the
same issue was present long before if you have several X11
connections open.

>> Maybe there should be some kind of affinity: look at the emacsclient
>> context (its tty and its $DISPLAY setting) and then look for an existing
>> frame (or terminal) that is "similar" (same tty or same $DISPLAY).
>> This would remove/reduce the "arbitrary" part of the behavior.

> IMO:
>   - if -c is given, and $DISPLAY is present in the emacsclient
>   environment (-d is not on the command line), then it should be
>   equivalent to -c -d $DISPLAY

>   - if $DISPLAY is not present, then it should be equivalent to -t

Hmm... so you're suggesting that "-c" would means something like "open
a new frame just like starting a new Emacs would do"?  I guess that
would make sense.

        Stefan

PS: In any case, I think my "affinity" idea is needed/useful in the
non-"-c" case, so we should implement it anyway.