Support for butterfly editing

From: raffael . mancini
Subject: Support for butterfly editing
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 00:59:39 +0100

Hi *,

In order to maintain the reputation of emacs as being a text shell
capable of accomplishing the most difficult tasks, I've written a
small function that will finally add support for the now famous
butterfly button as described in http://xkcd.com/378/.

(defun butterfly ()
  "This function is designed to be used only be the most\
proficient hackers on earth. If equipped with a butterfly key,
it\ should be bound to C-x M-c M-butterfly (for further
information please refer to http://xkcd.com/378/";
  (interactive)
  (if (yes-or-no-p "Do you really want to unleash the powers of the butterfly?
")
      (progn
        (message "Amazing physics going on...")
        (sit-for (* 5 (/ (abs (random)) (float most-positive-fixnum))))
        (message "Successfully flipped one bit!"))
    (message "Well, then go to www.xkcd.com!")))

I ask the gnu emacs dev team to either add that function to gnu emacs
or if my implementation is not polished enough implement it in
another way.

This would be another great example where an xkcd comic kind of
materializes (http://wetriffs.com/ is the first) and would maybe open
emacs to a broader audience.

Kind regards,
Raffael Mancini

PS: Please don't tear me in pieces for this. If not appropriate just
ignore this mail.