Re: emacsclient misbehaves

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacsclient misbehaves
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:31:46 -0500

> I found this bug which started occuring about a few month ago.

As far as I can tell, none of that has changed ever since --eval was
added to emacsclient.  So please describe clearly the behavior you used
to see with emacsclient.

> I used this command to start editing a file on the correct line:

> emacsclient --eval "(progn (find-file
> \"$PWD/Pkgfile\")(beginning-of-buffer)(search-forward
> \"version=\")(move-end-of-line nil))"

> This worked fine. Now if I do it emacsclient does open the file
> and goes to the right line, it just doesn't get the tty like it
> should. It prints the line one would expect in the minibuffer on
> stdout.

Until a few mponths ago, emacsclient never got the tty.  Were you using
the multi-tty branch?  That emacsclient had a different argument
convention, incompatible with the Emacs-22 emacsclient, so it was
changed as part of the inclusion into Emacs.  If you want to grab the
tty, you have to request it explicitly with "-t" (or "-c").

        Stefan