Re: Still cannot build native windows version of emacs 23.*

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Still cannot build native windows version of emacs 23.*
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:14:44 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I took a quick look.  The warning comes from this code in
> mule-cmds.el, part of the function set-locale-environment:

>       (when (get-language-info current-language-environment 'coding-priority)
>         (let ((codeset (locale-info 'codeset))
>               (coding-system (car (coding-system-priority-list))))
>           (when codeset
>             (let ((cs (coding-system-aliases coding-system))
>                   result)
>               (while (and cs (not result))
>                 (setq result
>                       (locale-charset-match-p (symbol-name (pop cs))
>                                               (locale-info 'codeset))))
>               (unless result
>                 (message "Warning: Default coding system `%s' disagrees with
>   system codeset `%s' for this locale." coding-system codeset))))))))

> As far as I could see, `(locale-info 'codeset)' on Windows returns the
> codepage that corresponds to the current language, e.g. cp1252 for a
> Western-European locale.  But this codepage is not in the list
> returned by coding-system-priority-list; thus the warning.

> I don't really understand the rationale for this test and the warning;
> Handa-san, could you please shed some light on it?  What does this
> code try to find out, and what is the meaning of the warning?

As this part was not written by me, I'm not sure what the
actual rationale is.  It seems that these are the changelogs
for that part (from lisp/ChangeLog.unicode).

2002-10-27  Dave Love  <address@hidden>
[...]
        * international/mule-cmds.el (wid-edit): Require when compiling.
        (set-locale-environment): Check locale against coding system
        aliases too.

2002-10-09  Dave Love  <address@hidden>
[...]
        (set-locale-environment): Warn if coding system doesn't agree
        with system locale.

The code checks exactly what the message says, but as the
code is in the function set-locale-environment, if the most
preferred coding system is different from what the locale
suggests, I think, the latter should be preferred without
warning.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden