Re: Woman path : adding l10n man pages

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Woman path : adding l10n man pages
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:43:08 +0200

>> Setting `woman-locale' in mule-cmds.el doesn't seem like the right thing.
>
> Other things like ps-paper-type are already set there. This seems similar.
> Indeed, I think it _has_ to stay there since in principle I'm supposed
> to be able to use `(set-locale-environment locale-name)' to set up all
> my locale-specific stuff.

This doesn't justify leaving the woman-specific logic in mule-cmds.el.
I think set-locale-environment can just set the general locale
variables, and other packages can use them for their purposes
(e.g. woman-manpath-add-locales can have the same code that currently
sets woman-locale in mule-cmds.el).

Also I don't understand why woman-locale is defcustom?  A defcustom
option is supposed to be customized by the user, but the customized
value of woman-locale always gets overridden at startup and on every
call to `set-locale-environment'.  Perhaps the code that uses the locale
in woman.el should prefer the customized value if woman-locale is non-nil?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/