Re: 23.0.60; How to make some libraries link statically via pkg-config f

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; How to make some libraries link statically via pkg-config files?
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:10:31 -0800

Peter Dyballa <address@hidden> writes:

  > Am 18.02.2008 um 20:32 schrieb Dan Nicolaescu:
  >
  > > Your problem lies in linking 2 versions of the same library.  You
  > > should
  > > only ever do that if you know exactly what you are doing, and know
  > > details about the libraries and their users.
  > >
  > > So, IMO, there's nothing that emacs should do about this.
  >
  > Yes. And therefore I want to delegate this to ld to link those
  > libraries that exist twice statically when I have control which
  > library gets used.

Again, if you are trying to link the 2 versions of the same library
twice you are asking for trouble.  It can be made work if you know what
your are doing, but it's not a good idea.  If you do such a thing, and
report bugs here, please explicitly say this in each bug report.

IMHO it's better to figure out a way to avoid linking 2 versions of the
same library than to play any tricks with the config files, linker, etc.