Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead of utf-8)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:50:04 -0500

> My position is that XML has a perfectly acceptable in-band way to
> announce encodings.  Contrary to what I understood Stefan to be
> saying, it is per-file and required by the standard.[1]  This gives
> strong reason to believe that most users will be happy to add text
> declarations, especially in free software where they'll be using
> high-quality XML implementations.

My understanding of the OP's situation is that his files are not XML
files, but plaintext files that happen to contain XML fragments.
I'd expect that those fragments will be put together via
text-concatenation to generate a complete XML document.

I don't know much about XML: does XML allow the in-band encoding
declaration to appear sprinkled multiple times inside the document?

        Stefan