Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:55:59 +0000

On 20 Feb 2008, at 12:52, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

IMO, defaults should be choosen, if possible, so the behavior is what
most new users would expect. An experienced user will research how to
deactivate something that he doesn't like. A newbie will perhaps just
give up.

I would replace "newbie" with anyone who uses Emacs alongside a number of other applications which provide their own editing facilities (even if just to fill a form field). That was my situation, and while I'd happily adapt one way or the other (w.r.t transient-mark-mode and key bindings, etc.) in general, I wouldn't want to switch back and forth within seconds. Emacs users say the same about switching between machines and having their own .emacs sync'ed between them.

Is it possible to satisfy both types of users?
Can't there be two variants of Emacs?