Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:24:53 +0100

Jason Earl <address@hidden> writes:

> The alternative, as the manual points out, is to enable
> transient-mark-mode and have Emacs work like most newbies
> would expect a text editor to work.

You are presuming that enabling transient-mark-mode makes Emacs work
like most newbies (or people) would expect a text editor to work.

I disagree strongly with that presumption.  Other editors have marked
regions that are _independent_ of point.  Emacs doesn't.
Transient-mark-mode merely introduces some artifacts of typical text
editor regions, but because point is by necessity one region end, the
side effects are quite obnoxious and the result in no way leads to a
behavior typical for the work flow of other editors.