Re: Tentative diagnosis of TMM's problem. [Re: Enabling TransientMark Mo

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Tentative diagnosis of TMM's problem. [Re: Enabling TransientMark Mode by default]
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 01:09:58 +0000

On 20/02/2008, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> Do C-SPC to set the mark. Then click mouse-1 somewhere else. Point has >
> moved away from the mark, but the region is not active, so no
> highlighting.

> That would still be true for the idea I suggested. The region would not be
>  activated just by moving the cursor; that's all. That's similar to what
>  happens in other apps, AFAIK.

Okay, those two lines suggest a possible misunderstanding, or you were
just talking loosely - in tmm,  C-SPC sets and activates the mark.
mouse-1 clicking (or zero-length drag) just happens to deactivate it.
FWIW mouse 3 clicking doesn't deactivate the mark, but may move the
mark or point according to a nice little do-what-I-mean algo.

Moving the the cursor after C-SPC doesn't activate the mark in tmm, it
just makes the already-active region become nonzero sized.